Checking her students’ bags wasn’t something that Mrs. Nabors generally did but it was required so she did her duty and checked each student’s bag. She found what she expected, little more than pencils, books, snacks, and stationery. Then she noticed one little girl acting oddly. That’s when she discovered something unexpected.
Sadly, daily bag checks have become routine in many schools. Guards who check the bags have found all manner of innocuous objects such as smartphones and fidget spinners, to more dangerous items. Everyone needs to be vigilant.
Unfortunately, this extends to even the youngest students. Elementary school students also get searched. This is due to the law considers anyone capable of committing a crime. This means you can never be too careful. Many parents ask themselves, “Will this accusation cause my kids to lose their innocence?”
Lawmakers, teachers, and guards can’t think about the innocence of a child as things are escalating in schools and they need to keep a close eye on students. Children often bring banned items to school, even when they don’t plan on hurting anyone. However, even bringing these things innocently could cause injury or even something like an allergic reaction.
At Jefferson Elementary School in Jefferson County, Georgia, the safety of the students is the highest priority. This means that teachers are required to check the students’ bags as soon as the morning announcements have been made. On that particular day, Mrs. Nabors wasn’t expecting to find anything more dangerous than a video game. This wouldn’t be a normal day, however.
Mrs. Bobbie Nabor was a second-grade teacher, and she firmly believed that children could be trusted when it came to what they may and may not bring to school. For this reason, she didn’t often check her students’ bags. Normally her students didn’t give her reason to check, on this day, however, she noticed something strange.
All her students were excited about a bookfair that was scheduled to happen soon and would have all kinds of fun things to experience. These events are fun for everyone and everyone was excited to get the event going. This is why Mrs. Nabor hadn’t checked her students’ bags for a while.
Little children, such as second-graders, can easily get distracted. This is why Mrs. Nabors was working harder than normal to get them to pay attention and keep them busy with their morning routines. She had forgotten to check their bags. After all, what dangerous or banned items could they possibly bring.
Something was wrong, however. Something was wrong and the little girl started to act suspiciously as Mrs. Nabor approacher her bag. That’s when she noticed that the girl’s bag was moving! Mrs. Nabors knew that there was no reason why a child’s bag should be moving so she couldn’t imagine what was in her bag, so she decided to open the bag.
When Mrs. Nabors opened the bag and looked inside, she found herself staring into a small pair of eyes. Inside the bag, she found a small brown puppy. If any of the children had a pet allergy, this tiny little thing could have put them at risk. However, Mrs. Nabor decided not to punish the little girl. She had a better idea.
Mrs. Nabors understood that the little girl had no understanding of her action’s possible consequences. So instead of punishing the girl, Mrs. Nabors passed the puppy around. All the children were thrilled to see the little critter and to get a chance to hold and pet it. However, there was still an unanswered question.
Need To Know
She was still concerned about where the animal came from so she asked the little girl (who, for obvious reasons, won’t be named) about where the puppy came from. In a typical answer for a little child, she answered, “My mom must’ve put him in there.” However, as much fun as it was to have the puppy in class, all good things must come to an end.
The puppy had been incredibly well behaved and was loved by the whole class, but she had to send him home. Mrs. Nabors called the girl’s mom and asked her to come and fetch the puppy and take it home. Mrs. Nabors made a decision before sending the puppy away.
It just so happened that the book fair needed a mascot. Due to the fact that the puppy was so popular already, Mrs. Nabors decided to make him the mascot. Soon “Paws for a Good Book” became the official slogan of the bookfair. But did the puppy do anything more for the school?
The puppy, named Jake, wasn’t the only dog at the school, however. There was a girl who had a service dog named Dottie that came to school with her. Fortunately, Jake didn’t mind sharing the spotlight with another adorable pup.